If you are looking for something with spice, but want to avoid the sugar (aka carbohydrates), try these low carb enchiladas. They are flavorful, healthy, and wait for it...vegan! And since the theme of the day appears to be “ass”, prepare them with a generous dose of Bomb-ass Enchilada Sauce to enhance the flavor.
Kick-ass Low Carb “Enchiladas”
6 Anaheim Chili peppers (the bigger the better)
1 cup of cooked brown rice*
1 package of Soyrizo (I used Trader Joe’s)
Bomb-ass Enchilada Sauce (recipe below)
Before starting the chili peppers you may want to whip up a batch of Bomb-ass Enchilada Sauce (below). Or if you are a kitchen guru you can probably manage multi-tasking.
1. Fill a large pot with water and put it on high on the stove top.
2. While the water is coming to a boil, cut the chilis lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes.
3. Add the chilis to the water and boil them for 2 minutes. This will make them easier to work with.
4. Drain the chilis and let them cool off.
5. While chilis are cooling, cook soyrizo on the stove top according to the directions on the package.
6. Gather chilis, soyrizo, and rice. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
7. Stuff peppers with about 2 Tablespoons of brown rice and 1 Tablespoon of soyrizo. You can play around with this ratio if you prefer meaty-er stuffed peppers.
8. Place stuffed chilis in an oven safe dish and pour over enough Enchilada Sauce to give each a generous coating.
9. Bake for about 30 minutes
Bomb-ass Enchilada Sauce:
2 Tablespoons of oil
1 Tablespoon of flour ( or cornstarch for Gluten-Free)
¼ cup of chili powder**
2 cups of vegetable broth
1. Heat oil and flour over medium heat on stove top for 2 minutes.
2. Add chili powder, mix thoroughly.
3. Stir in broth slowly.
4. Let it cook for 10 minutes
* You can use whatever grain you like: barley, quinoa, rice, etc. This time I had a leftover mixture of quinoa and brown rice.
** If you have it available try mixing one part chipotle powder to two parts chili powder instead.
If they don’t all get eaten up at once they are portable enough to keep in the fridge for a quick lunch. Enjoy!